Photos of our Christmas Nativity!
Year 2 Trip to St. Paul's Cathedral!!
Spring term. Year group - 2
Our topic for the Autumn term is ‘Oceans and Seas.’
Our topic this term is ‘Jesus at Prayer.’ We will be looking at the book of Exodus and focusing on the story of Passover. The children will retell the story of the Passover. They will identify the main events, setting and the characters. Your child could research information about the story of the Passover in preparation for the unit of work.
Key words: Exodus (exit or departure), Passover, Moses, plagues.
Our texts for this term are
· The Lonely Beast
· Jack and the Beanstalk
· Information texts linked to oceans, seas and the Cutty Sark.
Our objectives this term are to:
· Develop pleasure in reading, motivation to read, vocabulary and understanding by listening to, discussing and expressing views about a wide range of contemporary and classic poetry and stories.
· Discuss and clarify the meanings of words, linking new meanings to known vocabulary.
· Develop positive attitudes towards and stamina for writing.
· Evaluate their writing with the teacher and other pupils.
· Adopt, create and sustain a range of roles, responding appropriately to others in role.
· Become more familiar with and confident in using language in a variety of situations and for a variety of role play situations.
· We will be writing diary entries, narrative stories and instructions.
Spellings: We will focus on spelling key words correctly. Spelling tests will begin this half term and a letter will be handed out explaining how the tests will work. We will also continue with our Year 2 spelling scheme. Please support your child by looking at the suffixes –ing for present tense and –ed for past tense e.g. play – playing – played.
Handwriting: Please encourage your child to begin to join up their handwriting when completing their homework and any other forms of writing they do such as writing their key words.
Our objectives this term are to:
· Count from 0 in steps of 2, 3, 5 and 10.
· Count on and back in 10s from any number.
· Identify any number on the 1-100 grid, understanding that each number is a multiple of ten and some ones.
· Know securely number pairs for all the numbers up to and including 20, e.g. pairs which make 15 (7+8, 6+9, 5+10, 4+11, 3+12, 2+13, 1+14, 0+15).
· Know different unit patterns when adding or subtracting, first when not crossing a ten and then when crossing a ten, in numbers up to 100.
· Add a two-digit number and tens; add two 2-digit numbers which total less than 100 by counting on in tens and ones.
· Count back in ones or tens or use number facts to take away, e.g. 27-3 = or 54-20 =.
· Begin to count up to find a difference between two numbers with a small gap, e.g. 42–38.
· Recognise that addition and subtraction are inverse operations; use addition to check subtractions and solve missing number problems.
o Know 2x, 5x and 10x tables, and related division facts, e.g. saying how many 10s in 40; use x and ÷ signs correctly.
· Double and halve numbers up to 20
· Understand ½, ¼, 1/3, ¾, 2/3 as fractions of quantities in a practical context; solve problems using shapes, objects, quantities.
· Solve simple problems in a practical context; add and subtract pence & pounds, including finding and giving change.
· Tell/write the time on digital/analogue clocks to ½ past, ¼ past & ¼ to the hour; draw hands on a clock face to show these times;
In addition to weekly homework, please support your child in learning their times tables. We will have weekly times tables tests this term. We will focus on the 2, 3, 5 and 10 times tables facts,
Topic: Through a series of cross curricular activities, the children will build their knowledge of oceans and seas around the world. They will begin to understand the different environments these represent and how they affect life on land as well as at sea. We will visit the Cutty Sark and link it to our writing work at school.
Reading with your child:
Please read with your child every day at home and record that you have read in your child’s reading diary.
PE Days - Tuesdays and Wednesdays. On these days, your child will need their PE kits.
English – English homework will be sent home on Fridays. Please return on Tuesdays.
Maths – Maths homework will be sent home on Tuesdays. Please return on Fridays.
Key words: Key words will be replaced with key word lists and spelling tests this term.
Please don’t hesitate to come and see me if you need any help or if you have any questions.